Messy Church Canada May Newsletter
Had a wonderful time in the UK meeting with Lucy Moore and the Messy Church team! Andy (my hubby who some of you have met) and I are working on creating a Canadian MC disk that will include video clips of Messy Churches here, a video interview we did with Lucy, and materials to help folks get started with their own Messy Churches… will keep you posted on the project. We plan to have it ready to send to folks by the end of the summer.
It must be spring ’cause Messy Churches are just springing up like the flowers!
Welcome to the following new Messy Churches:
- St. Peter’s Lutheran Church, 810 King Street East Cambridge, ON (519) 653-4721 Contact: Heather Moniz
- St. James United Church, 306 Parkside Dr. Waterdown ON (905)689-6223 Contact Vanessa Findlay email@example.com
- Here is what Vanessa said about their ‘launch’ at the end of March…
“We just dove right in!! Picked the date, booked the church and prayed…….and planned A LOT! We were blessed to have 15 members of our congregation volunteer their time and gifts. Our Easter Eggstravaganza saw lots of messy fun as families made paper bag donkeys, paper plate tombs, handprint lilies and burnt matchstick crosses. Little ones squished in soft playdoh as the older ones played egg & spoon relay races and minute to win it games. Our worship service was held in the sanctuary and saw palm branches wave, shouts of Hosanna and a card table tomb with exercise ball rock! We were hoping for 100 participants and were amazed to see that number swell to 128. I kept running into the kitchen silently praying “fishes & loaves Lord”………and we did in fact have lots of sloppy spaghetti leftovers……but not an Easter cookie in sight!”
Some great links to check out:
- Faith in Homes in the UK has great ideas and newsletters (contact is Jane Butcher) at www.faithinhomes.org.uk
- Who Let the Dad’s Out is a program in the UK started by Mark Chester. You can info here as well as links to other resources: www.wholetthedadsout.org
- We met Jill Kayser, Coordinator of Kids Friendly Church (from New Zealand) when we were in the UK who has great info… see www.kidsfriendly.org.nz
- and of course don’t forget to check out www.facebook.com/MessyChurchCanada
Also Nancy Rowe and I are looking forward to three upcoming Messy Church Fiestas/Workshops in June – there is still space if you or colleagues/friends are interested…
- Saturday, June 9 (10am-2:30pm) – Sudbury Ontario – Messy Fiesta
- Friday, June 15 (10am-3pm) – Toronto Ontario – Messy Fiesta
- Saturday, June 16 (2pm-3:30pm) – Toronto Ontario – Workshop (part of ‘More than Franchises’ Conference)
For details and registration information visit: www.freshexpressions.ca and look to the right for the Upcoming Events section.