FXCA update may 2012
In the past few weeks small Monarch butterflies have been visiting florets on the burgeoning Maple trees here in Montreal. They are not so large as they will hopefully become in the summer, but their arrival is more than welcome, full as it is of the promise of warmer days ahead. Signs of new life abound. Where are you seeing signs of the new life Jesus offers in your community? Sometimes it doesn’t always take the forms we expect. People looking for new ways to reach out to others in practical ways with the love of Jesus. People engaging in thinking and talking about what it means to be some of Jesus’ people today. People watching out for where and to whom the Holy Spirit might be leading them.
One of the most helpful ways I have found of starting such conversations is Steve Croft‘s “What is church?” game. It’s very easy, all you need is paper and pencil. A no-threat way of helping people to think and talk about what is church to them. Perfect for use at a church supper, vestry meeting etc. We need to tell each other about helpful strategies that will include more people in what needs to become an expanding conversation. So, if you stumble over anything useful let us all know!
Plans are underway for another cycle of the Mission Shaped Ministry course. We envisage it taking two forms. One will be a physical class taking place at Wycliffe College, Toronto, on select Thursdays, starting in September. The other will be an entirely online course, where groups of people will gather in real time to share in an online experience with other groups, an online teacher and a course host. More details soon.
If you are interested in finding out more about the course click here or email email@example.com.
- dream dreams
- ask questions
- share your story
- think about what it is to be church
- find out about fresh expressions
- discover resources
- build networks and relationships
If you would be interested in exploring the possibilities of hosting a Fresh Expressions Vision Day in your area please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
RE-IMAGINING CHURCH is entering what we hope will be the final phase of development before it is unleashed! As parishes transition out of ministry in a Christendom mode of life to that of post-Christendom, the Re-Imagining course is a resource to help you engage your congregation in that conversation. It is intended as an introductory course for those who know that not everything is working in their current parish, but are not sure what it is, how they should think about it or what might be done about it. The main thrust of the course is not so much practical (although there may well be practical results) as imaginative. The purpose of the course is to re-orient our thinking, sow some new ideas and to offer some examples of what can be done. Bishop Linda Nicholls recently taught the five week course at St. John’s Church, Peterborough, ON.
- Saturday, June 9th in Sudbury ON from 10am to 2:30pm – details to follow in the next Newsletter
- Friday, June 15th in Toronto ON from 10am to 3pm – in conjunction with the UCC’s “More than Franchises: A Fresh Brew” conference at Emmanuel College. The Messy Fiesta is a ‘stand alone’ workshop and all are welcome, both to the Messy Fiesta and to the conference which runs from June 16th to 18th. For more information about the conference and the Messy Fiesta (and to register on-line), visit www.morefranchises.ca. Also, please click here for the June 15th MF information flyer.
Trent Durham Sally Gaze Workshop June 2, 2012
The Trent Durham Area of the Diocese of Toronto will welcome Sally Gaze, author of the book, Mission-Shaped and Rural, from the UK.
This insightful book looks at current issues in rural England and explores:
- the nature of mission with special reference to the rural situation;
- ways for the Church to engage with rural culture;
- examples of rural fresh expressions of church;
- identifying and pruning the things which inhibit mission in the countryside;
- how all forms of church can work together for the glory of God
Come and explore the joys and challenges of being ‘mission-shaped’ in our rural context.The workshop is for both clergy and laity. Come and bring a parish team!
Location: St. John’s Anglican Church, Ida, Cavan, ON. Click here for more details.
That’s about it for now! Check our website www.freshexpressions.ca for the latest news.
Please keep us in your prayers.
FXCA team leader on behalf of the FXCA team